Ball State Sponsors Copyright Conference
The Ball State University Libraries is pleased to sponsor a one-day conference, “Copyright Challenges & Opportunities: Practical Advice for the Digital Age.” Today’s library and information professionals must know how to properly use another person’s intellectual property. The challenges in the copyright law can be intimidating. By attending this conference, you will hear from nationally-known experts in the field. Topics include:
- The Top 10 Digital Legal Issues Facing Educational Institutions
- Digital Licensing; Digital Fair Use
- Update on Proposed Library Legislation
- Update on “Orphan Works” and Proposed Legislation
- Information Policy and Digital Works
- Jule L. Sigall, J.D., U.S. Copyright Office Associate Register for Policy and International Affairs and Head of the Office of Policy & International Affairs.
- Kenneth Crews, J.D., Samuel R. Rosen II Professor in the Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis and in the IU School of Library and Information Science and Associate Dean of the Faculties for Copyright Management.
- Dwayne K. Buttler, J.D., Professor, Evelyn J. Schneider Endowed Chair for Scholarly Communication at the University of Louisville, University Libraries.
- Michelle L. Cooper, J.D., practices in the areas of employment and intellectual property law; prosecutes copyright and trademark applications, negotiates and drafts licensing agreements and handles infringement litigation.
- Kevin Smith, J.D., Director of Library and Instructional Resources at Defiance College in Defiance, Ohio, focuses on library and academic institution licensing concerns with emphasis on copyright and employment law.
Register online at www.bsu.edu/library/conference/copyright. Registration by Feb. 14 is $60, then increases to $75 per person. After April 1, the cost is $100. State of Indiana IHETS or IPSE Committee members $60; all students $20. The registration fee includes a buffet lunch.
For more information, contact Fritz Dolak at (765) 285-5330 or FDolak@bsu.edu.
CopyCense™: K. Matthew Dames on the intersection of business, law and technology. A business venture of Seso Digital LLC.